Due to the large size of the city and to the endless number of interesting areas it can be hard to decide where to stay in Seoul. Seoul is huge, modern and diverse metropolis which can offer many great and unique places to explore.
Seoul can boast a very good transportation system meaning that all areas are well-connected with each other by public transport.
Where to stay in Seoul
Based on different trip types we recommend the following areas to stay in Seoul:
- Gangnam is a famous area from the “Gangnam Style” hit, a home to rising skyscrapers and huge neon screens. The area offers a luxury shopping, expensive restaurants and a posh nightlife.
- Gwanghwamun is the very center of Seoul located next to the main square of the city.
- Ikseon is another centrally located area which is quiter and less crowded than Gwanghwamun. Ikseon is home to traditional Korean homes.
- Myeongdong is the main shopping area and one of the most popular places to stay in Seoul. The streets are packed with shopping malls, boutiques and eateries. Myeongdong is crowded and noisy.
- Edae area is home to Ewha Women’s University and offers great shopping opportunities. The streets are packed with shops and restaurants. The area offers multiple accommodation options for every budget.
- Dongdaemun is the fashion center of Seoul and home to traditional Korean markets and shopping malls. The annual Seoul Fashion Week takes place in this area.
- Insadong is a centrally located area which is always busy and full of tourists. It is located close to the main tourist attractions, museums, shops, boutiques and is also known for a large Ssamziegil shopping center.
- Bukchon is a traditional Korean village located in the heart of Seoul. It is a quite residential area with narrow streets and old houses. Climb up the hill to enjoy a beautiful view of the village. Bukchon is located within a walking distance from both famous palaces, Gyeongbokgung and Changdeokgung.
- Itaewon is located close to Namsan observation Tower and many museums. The area offers many international restaurants and bars as well as a good shopping.
- Hongdae area is home to Hongik University and is known for a great night life. The area never sleeps and has a true Korean party scene. Hondae can offer a big choice of good hotels along with cheaper accommodation options.
- Sinchon is another party area in Seoul which is located just one stop from Hongdae. Sinchon also offers multiple entertainment options. In terms of accommodation the area is slightly cheaper than Hongdae and is a popular place to stay in Seoul among budget travelers.
Where to book accommodation in South Korea
To get a better room at a lower price in South Korea it is advisable to book accommodation online in advance.
We advise to use Trivago.co.uk to compare accommodation types and prices from the major booking sites.
To book a room we find Booking.com to be the cheapest and the most user-friendly accommodation booking platform. A great and simple interface, clear booking conditions and a 24/7 support in more than 40 languages makes Booking.com one of the most popular travel web sites in the world.
A popular online platform Airbnb is also widely used in South Korea. It is a web site where locals offer their own homes for rent, which are often cheaper than standard hotel rooms. If you are a new Airbnb guest get €25 in travel credit when you sign up via our link.
If you are looking for cheap flights from Europe to South Korea check our latest flight deals here.